Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Renaissance Men + Quote

This week's challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Blogspot is titled Renaissance Men. We were asked to pay homage to the beautiful works of art from either Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello or Raphael. When I first saw the challenge, I immediately thought how can I come up with something that would even come close to these works of art? Well, as I started to search for a picture, the one that called out to me was the picture named "Head of Leda" by Leonardo da Vinci. There was something about the expression that immediately caught my eye. I imagined the drawing hanging on a stucco wall as Leonardo sketched away. That's why I chose to use the tissue paper technique because it reminds me of a rough/stucco wall.

I painted a small piece of wood with gesso. Once it was dry, I added Mod Podge then placed the tissue paper on top - I used a couple of layers because I wanted there to be lots of texture. It was painted with burnt orange acrylic paint and then with a bit of interference paint in green-gold. I added Distress Inks - Rusty Hinge & Vintage Photo - around the picture for an aged look. I used Inkssential's Glue & Seal - in matte - to add the picture and cover the whole surface. Copper wire decorates the sides and also to hang the small "portrait". Tim's stamp with the quote "Encourage your hope not your fears" was heat embossed on a piece of mica. I think that saying fits the expression on the face perfectly, don't you?

I was very happy to read that I am also able to use this project at this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show. It is called What Do You Say? They're asking us to use a stamp or sticker with a sentiment or quote. Since I had added Tim's quote, it's eligible. YEY!!!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you like my project!!! :)






10 comments:

toni said...

Hi nicie lovely work! Fabulous colour and texture,and i like your use of natural elements. A great piece of art x

Dan said...

Great piece and perfect for the Renaissance theme! Thanks so much for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love lOve love this image!!! She is gorgeous! The texture mimics an Italian wall perfectly! Fab work and love the color!!! Thank you tons for playing along with us at Frilly & Funkie this fortnight!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous project, love the texture you've created and the image is just fabulous ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly & Funkie. Sue C x

Marjie Kemper said...

Wow, Nicie.... the texture and colors on your piece are stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie with this beautiful creation.

Words and Pictures said...

Great colour and texture set off this beautiful image so beautifully! Great stuff...
Alison x

Terry said...

This is a beauty! Love the texture and I am a big fan of MP and TP!! Beautiful image! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie!

Ana K. said...

Great texture and colours...beautiful piece of art!

Annie said...

Hi Nicie saw your entry on Frilly and Funkie and thought I would take a closer look. So glad I did as this is a fabulous piece. I love the background colors and textures, the main image is fabulous. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to visiting you again. Crafty hugs Annie, your newest follower. X

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is fabulous, Nicie! It absolutely vibrates with life. The image is perfect and the color palette is amazing. The sentiment you matched it up with is just perfect. So glad you had a chance to join in the fun with us for this challenge at Frilly and Funkie!

Hugs,
Linda

End of Year Discount...20%

Hello Everyone!!! Can't believe that we will be welcoming 2022 in just 1 day, unreal! In order to help welcome in the new year, my shop ...